How can a person with a disability prepare for a disaster?

Disasters can strike quickly and without warning, forcing people to leave or be confined in their home. People with disabilities and their family members should make plans to protect themselves in the event of an emergency. It is also important that first responders know how to evacuate people with disabilities safely and quickly.

Here are some tips from Oregon's emergency preparedness training program, called "Ready Now":

• Develop a back-up plan. Inform caregivers, friends, family, neighbors or others who might be able to help during an emergency.
  • Stock up on food, water and any necessary prescription medications, medical supplies or equipment. Have enough to last at least a week.
  • Make a list of emergency contact information and keep it handy.
  • Keep a charged car battery at home. It can power electric wheelchairs and other motorized medical equipment if there is an electricity outage.
  • Learn about alternate transportation and routes.
  • Understand the responsibilities and limitations of a "first responder" (for example, members of your local fire department of law enforcement office) during a disaster.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Stop the Bleed, Pack a Wound and More: How to Help After an Act of Violence
Any injury or laceration that causes severe bleeding puts a victim’s life in imminent danger. Uncontrolled bleeding is the number one cause of prevent...
How can I conserve heat in my house during a winter storm?
You may need fresh air coming in for your heater or for emergency cooking arrangements. However, if ...
As a senior, how can I cope after a disaster?
As a senior, talking about what happened during a natural disaster or act of terror and sharing your...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.