How will I know when I need to shelter-in-place?

Fire or police department warning procedures for shelter-in-place could include:

• "All-Call" telephoning—an automated system for sending recorded messages, sometimes called Reverse 911
  • Emergency Alert System (EAS) broadcasts on the radio or television
  • Outdoor warning sirens or horns
  • News media sources—radio, television and cable
  • Weather radio alerts from the federal National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
  • Residential route alerting: Messages announced to neighborhoods from vehicles equipped with public address systems

Facilities that handle potentially dangerous materials, like nuclear power plants, are required to install sirens and other warning systems (flash warning lights) to cover a 10-mile area around the plant.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
Tropical storms and hurricanes bring heavy rain and winds that can create damage, as well as block roads and knock out power. People with certain heal...
How can I prepare for shelter-in-place at home?
Shelter-in-place means to take immediate shelter where you are. Take the following steps to prepare ...
How can I prepare an emergency plan for a disaster if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant, it is important that you create an emergency plan to help you in the event of a...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.