How can I help others cope with a disaster?

There are a number of things you can do to help others cope with disaster:

• Before disaster strikes: Develop a family disaster plan. Assemble disaster supply kits for family members and pets; talk about your actions; think about how to handle stress; be informed and ask local authorities questions about preparing for disasters, such as tornados, most likely to strike your area. Practice your plans and identify support networks in your community.
  • At the beginning of a disaster: Listen to the authorities; show understanding; share facts with children; share plans to keep them safe.
  • During a disaster: Calm fears that someone will be killed or injured; calm fears that children will be left alone or separated from their family; stay as connected as possible with kids and with others, as it provides care, support and distraction.
  • After a disaster: Calm fears that it will happen again.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly called 911. He ...
What should I take with me during an emergency evacuation if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant and an evacuation is necessary due to a disaster, be prepared to go quickly and ...
How can I store and prepare food safely in an emergency?
If a natural or man-made disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water a...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.