How do I create a family communication plan to prepare for a disaster?

Because you and your family may not be together when a disaster hits, it’s important to create a communication plan to help you and your loved ones connect and get help. Complete a contact card for each family member. Have them keep these cards handy in a wallet, purse or backpack. These additional steps can also help you prepare:

• Identify an out-of-town contact, such as a friend or relative, who family members can call to let them know they are safe. It may be easier to make a long-distance phone call than to call across town since phone lines may be jammed. An out-of-town contact may be in a better position to communicate among separated family members.
  • Teach your family members how to text. It may seem like second nature to some of us, but not everyone texts. During an emergency it’s often easier to get a text message delivered rather than a phone call.
  • Subscribe to an emergency alert system. Check with your local health department or emergency management agency to see if  one is offered in your area. Post emergency telephone numbers near phones at home or save them in your cell phone (fire, police, ambulance, etc.).
  • Teach children how and when to call 911 for help.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
Tropical storms and hurricanes bring heavy rain and winds that can create damage, as well as block roads and knock out power. People with certain heal...
What should I do if I'm ordered to evacuate due to a hurricane?
Because of the destructive power of a hurricane, you should never ignore an evacuation order. Author...
How can I keep my home safe during winter?
Dr. Jeanne D. Johnson, MDDr. Jeanne D. Johnson, MD
Prepare your home for ice, snow and other winter conditions now by: insulating walls and attics, ...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.