How can I prepare an emergency plan for a disaster if I am pregnant?

If you are pregnant, it is important that you create an emergency plan to help you in the event of a disaster. Plan the steps you should take ahead of time. Ask your local American Red Cross for information on what they suggest every family should do to prepare. Then develop your own plan, writing down the steps to give to family members. Here's how to get started:
  • Talk about potential disasters and emergencies and how to respond to each. Choose a meeting place, other than your home, for family to gather in case you can't get home.
  • Give this emergency plan to all family members. Leave a copy in a prominent place in case other adults, such as babysitters, are in your home during an emergency.
  • Choose someone outside your home who can be an emergency check-in person in case someone cannot reach you or another family member. Share your plan with them. Keep this person's telephone number and address with your plan and first-aid kit. Give this number to friends and family members, including  children, who are old enough to make a call.
The presence of the CDC logo and CDC content on this page should not be construed to imply endorsement by the US Government of any commercial products or services, or to replace the advice of a medical professional. The mark “CDC” is licensed under authority of the PHS.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness