How can I prepare an emergency plan for a disaster if I am pregnant?

If you are pregnant, it is important that you create an emergency plan to help you in the event of a disaster. Plan the steps you should take ahead of time. Ask your local American Red Cross for information on what they suggest every family should do to prepare. Then develop your own plan, writing down the steps to give to family members. Here's how to get started:

• Talk about potential disasters and emergencies and how to respond to each. Choose a meeting place, other than your home, for family to gather in case you can't get home.
  • Give this emergency plan to all family members. Leave a copy in a prominent place in case other adults, such as babysitters, are in your home during an emergency.
  • Choose someone outside your home who can be an emergency check-in person in case someone cannot reach you or another family member. Share your plan with them. Keep this person's telephone number and address with your plan and first-aid kit. Give this number to friends and family members, including  children, who are old enough to make a call.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Wildfires Keep Raging—and They Pose Major Health Risks
For people in the path of wildfires, the most immediate concerns surround protecting their property, their loved ones and their own lives. What often ...
How should I prepare for storms and severe weather?
Advance planning for thunderstorms, lightning, tornadoes and floods requires specific safety precaut...
How can I store and prepare food safely in an emergency?
If a natural or man-made disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water a...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.