How dangerous is lightning?

Lightning strikes in the United States are responsible for about 100 deaths each year, more than hurricanes and tornadoes. It is likely that this is an underestimate, as many deaths may be unreported. According to the National Lightning Safety Institute, people under the age of 35 represent some 85 percent of lightning victims. One out of five strike victims die, and 70 percent of those who survive suffer serious long-term aftereffects. (This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly called 911. He ...
As a senior, how can I cope after a disaster?
As a senior, talking about what happened during a natural disaster or act of terror and sharing your...
Why should I prepare for an act of terrorism or disaster if I am a senior?
Being mentally and emotionally prepared is the best way to reduce the effects of natural disaster or...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.