How can I cook safely during a winter storm?

The following are tips on how to cook safely in your house during a winter storm:

• Never use a charcoal or gas grill indoors—the fumes are deadly.
  • Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air intake of your house because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Plug in appliances to the generator using individual heavy-duty, outdoor-rated cords.
  • Do not use the generator or appliances if they are wet because of the risk of electrocution.
  • Do not store gasoline indoors where the fumes could ignite.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
Uh oh. The evening news is showing ominous weather maps, the salt trucks are out and long lines are forming at the supermarket. There’s a blizzard com...
What is the wind chill index?
The wind chill index is the temperature your body feels when the air temperature is combined with th...
What should I do if I'm ordered to evacuate due to a hurricane?
Because of the destructive power of a hurricane, you should never ignore an evacuation order. Author...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.