How can I cook safely during a winter storm?

The following are tips on how to cook safely in your house during a winter storm:

• Never use a charcoal or gas grill indoors—the fumes are deadly.
  • Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air intake of your house because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Plug in appliances to the generator using individual heavy-duty, outdoor-rated cords.
  • Do not use the generator or appliances if they are wet because of the risk of electrocution.
  • Do not store gasoline indoors where the fumes could ignite.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly calle...
What emergency supplies should I keep in my car in case of a winter storm?
Prepare your car with emergency supplies in case a winter storm hits. Cell phone; portable charge...
How can I store emergency food for a disaster?
If a natural or man-made disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water a...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.