How can my children help prepare a disaster supply kit?

Involving children when preparing a disaster supply kit is the first step in helping them know what to do in an emergency. There are many ways children can help:

• Ask them to think of items that they would like to include in an emergency supply kit, such as books or games and foods that won’t spoil.
  • Children can help mark the dates on a calendar for checking emergency supplies and remind you to check the supplies. Remember to rotate or replace emergency food, water, medicine and batteries as necessary.
  • Children can also help prepare plans and emergency supply kits for family pets. This would include extra food and one gallon of water per day for each pet.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
Tropical storms and hurricanes bring heavy rain and winds that can create damage, as well as block roads and knock out power. People with certain heal...
How do I create a family communication plan to prepare for a disaster?
Because you and your family may not be together when a disaster hits, it’s important to create a com...
How should I prepare for a hurricane evacuation?
Expect the need to evacuate and prepare for it. The National Weather Service will issue a hurricane ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.