How can being healthy help me during disaster recovery?

Healthy families and healthy communities are better prepared to respond to and recover from emergencies. Practicing healthy habits before an emergency occurs will help you and your family avoid illness and injury when faced with a disaster. Teaching your family good hygiene habits like proper handwashing can help reduce the spread of disease during emergencies.

Communities also can take steps to ensure that they are more resilient and prepared to recover after a disaster. Communities with high vaccination rates, easily accessible healthcare, available mental health resources and programs that encourage healthy behaviors often recover from disasters quicker and with fewer negative health problems.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Stop the Bleed, Pack a Wound and More: How to Help After an Act of Violence
Any injury or laceration that causes severe bleeding puts a victim’s life in imminent danger. Uncontrolled bleeding is the number one cause of prevent...
How can I prepare for a terrorist attack?
You can do several things to prepare for and be ready to respond to a terrorist attack. These sugges...
How can I keep my home safe during winter?
Dr. Jeanne D. Johnson, MDDr. Jeanne D. Johnson, MD
Prepare your home for ice, snow and other winter conditions now by: insulating walls and attics, ...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.