How can being healthy help me during disaster recovery?

Healthy families and healthy communities are better prepared to respond to and recover from emergencies. Practicing healthy habits before an emergency occurs will help you and your family avoid illness and injury when faced with a disaster. Teaching your family good hygiene habits like proper handwashing can help reduce the spread of disease during emergencies.

Communities also can take steps to ensure that they are more resilient and prepared to recover after a disaster. Communities with high vaccination rates, easily accessible healthcare, available mental health resources and programs that encourage healthy behaviors often recover from disasters quicker and with fewer negative health problems.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly called 911. He ...
How can I store an emergency supply of water for a disaster?
In an emergency, having a supply of clean water for drinking, cooking and hygiene is a top priority....
How can I stay updated about the weather in case of a winter storm?
To maintain communication in case of a winter storm, follow these tips: Make sure you have at least...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.