How can I keep my baby warm enough during a winter storm?

Infants less than one year old should never sleep in a cold room because (1) infants lose body heat more easily than adults; and (2) unlike adults, infants can't make enough body heat by shivering. Provide warm clothing for infants and try to maintain a warm indoor temperature. If the temperature cannot be maintained, make temporary arrangements to stay elsewhere. In an emergency, you can keep an infant warm using your own body heat. If you must sleep, take precautions to prevent rolling on the baby. Pillows and other soft bedding can also present a risk of smothering; remove them from the area near the baby.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Run, Hide, Fight: How to Protect Yourself During an Act of Mass Violence
As incidents of intentional harm increase in the US, many people are wondering how best to protect themselves in the event of a mass shooting or other...
How can I prepare an emergency plan for a disaster if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant, it is important that you create an emergency plan to help you in the event of a...
How can I make sure I have enough water in case of a winter storm?
Keep a water supply. Extreme cold can cause water pipes in your home to freeze and sometimes break. ...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.