How can I avoid lightning during a thunderstorm?

Going indoors during a thunderstorm is the best way to avoid lightning. A fully enclosed and frequently inhabited building should be the first choice. If this is not available, a car will provide protection if it is fully enclosed and the windows and doors are completely closed. Places that are not safe include the area under trees and bleachers and any tent or other cover that is not fully enclosed. Simply being out of the rain does not necessarily mean someone is safe from lightning.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
Uh oh. The evening news is showing ominous weather maps, the salt trucks are out and long lines are forming at the supermarket. There’s a blizzard com...
How do I create a family disaster plan?
Planning for a disaster means knowing what to do in each possible situation. Whether you have to eva...
Who can I ask for support to help me cope after a disaster?
Experiencing a disaster can leave people feeling like life will never be the same. Asking for suppor...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.