How can I help during a disaster?

Polly Dunn

With a number of recent disasters, including devastating tornadoes across the country, there are lots of ways you can help! Here are just a few:

• Donate items. After a disaster there is usually an overwhelming call for bottled water, canned food, personal hygiene items, and baby supplies.  Clothes, shoes, and toys for children are also needed. Pick up some of these items at the store and deliver them to a donation center or drop-off point. Donation centers frequently run out of boxes, so if you can bring boxes (cardboard or plastic) then that will help too.
  • Donate money. Give to the Red Cross, United Way, Salvation Army or other reputable charity organizations to benefit disaster victims. 
  • Donate time. Volunteer your time to disaster relief efforts. Depending on your skills, you may be asked to help in different areas (for example, if you know how to operate a chainsaw, you may be asked to clear trees). In the days immediately following a disaster, only trained first responders are allowed in the disaster zone. If you are not a first responder, then get ready to volunteer in other ways. You can serve meals and deliver cold water to first responders in the field. At donation centers, you can sort clothes by size and gender, or you might be asked to separate baby supplies from food and bottled water. Once the immediate danger has passed, you can also help with the clean up and rebuilding process. Typically clean up days are scheduled in affected areas in the weeks following the disaster.  All you have to do is show up, and you’ll find that there’s always something you can do to help!

Best of luck!  And for more information on how kids can help in disaster relief efforts, check out my recent blog post - Kids Can Help Too! http://childpsychmom.com/kids-can-help-too/

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 2019 Pacific Hurricane Season Could Be Bad—Prepare With These Expert Tips
Mention September 11 to most Hawaii residents, and the date will conjure a national tragedy. But to some, particularly on Kauai, that day is also set ...
What should I include in a disaster supply kit?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
Disaster supply kits should include: water (3 gallon per person) canned and non-perishable foods...
How should I prepare for a hurricane evacuation?
Expect the need to evacuate and prepare for it. The National Weather Service will issue a hurricane ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.