What can I do to tackle a bioterrorism threat?

Here are some proactive steps you can take:

• Stay connected to your state's department of health to follow disease trends occurring in your community.
  • Follow disaster preparedness advice from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Department of Homeland Security. 
  • Sign up for e-mail, Twitter or Facebook alerts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
  • Register for Reverse 911, a telephonic community notification system through your local community or county (if available).
  • Tune in to local TV and radio programming for health officials' announcements, and heed warnings.
  • Learn how to recognize and handle a suspicious package.
  • Create a family disaster plan, and prepare an emergency disaster-supplies kit for your family that includes a three-day supply of water (1 gallon of water per day per person), nonperishable foods, and medicines.
  • Practice good hygiene to avoid spreading germs, and cover your mouth and nose with fabric if exposed.

To see if your jurisdiction is prepared for a bioterrorism attack, check the American College Of Emergency Physicians National Report Card on the State of Emergency Medicine.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Run, Hide, Fight: How to Protect Yourself During an Act of Mass Violence
As incidents of intentional harm increase in the US, many people are wondering how best to protect themselves in the event of a mass shooting or other...
When should I call 911?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
You should call 911 for certain medical emergencies, such as a heart attack or stroke. It's better ...
What supplies should I keep at home in case of a winter storm?
In case of a winter storm, have a week's worth of food and safety supplies. If you live far from oth...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.