Can an act of terrorism cause radiation poisoning?

Since the atomic bombings in Japan in 1945, most cases of radiation poisoning have been due to accidents. However, public health departments and national security officials are constantly studying and preparing for a terrorist act involving an intentional radiation exposure. For example, a "bomb"nes traditional explosives with radioactive materials in order to contaminate a large area. Another scenario involves placing a concealed source of radioactivity in a public place (like the water or food supply) so that people are unaware of the exposure. Other methods include attacking a nuclear facility and discharging an atomic weapon.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Run, Hide, Fight: How to Protect Yourself During an Act of Mass Violence
As incidents of intentional harm increase in the US, many people are wondering how best to protect themselves in the event of a mass shooting or other...
How can I make sure I have enough water in case of a winter storm?
Keep a water supply. Extreme cold can cause water pipes in your home to freeze and sometimes break. ...
How can I prepare for shelter-in-place at home?
Shelter-in-place means to take immediate shelter where you are. Take the following steps to prepare ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.