As a teen, who can I talk to if I am not coping well after a disaster?

As a teen, asking for support to deal with the emotional effects of a disaster may feel uncomfortable, but seeking the assistance you need can really help. You can start by talking to one or more of these people:

• your family doctor or healthcare provider
  • a school counselor or teacher
  • a pastoral care counselor
  • a trained mental health professional
  • your community health center or the local mental health clinic
  • mental health support groups, which can be found on the Internet

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly called 911. He ...
Why should I prepare a disaster plan with my neighbors?
A survey showed that 53% of Americans receive disaster preparedness information by talking with neig...
How can a person with a disability prepare for a disaster?
Disasters can strike quickly and without warning, forcing people to leave or be confined in their ho...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.