As a teen, what can I do to get through a disaster okay?

As a teen, you can do a few things to get through a disaster okay:

• It's a good idea to take care of yourself physically, especially when under increased stress, such as after a disaster. Drinking enough water, eating right, exercising, getting plenty of rest and returning to a regular routine should help you feel better.
  • Most people find that it helps to talk about what happened and how it makes them feel. If you feel like talking, it's a good idea to find friends, family or other people you trust who have lived through the same kinds of things and talk to them.
  • It also helps if you can find meaning in what has happened.
  • Pay attention to the useful ways that you handled things. Give yourself credit for the different ways that helped you to handle the situation.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Run, Hide, Fight: How to Protect Yourself During an Act of Mass Violence
As incidents of intentional harm increase in the US, many people are wondering how best to protect themselves in the event of a mass shooting or other...
What should I take with me during an emergency evacuation if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant and an evacuation is necessary due to a disaster, be prepared to go quickly and ...
What influences a child's reaction to a disaster?
Children base their reactions in part on what they see from the adults around them. When parents and...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.