As a teen, when should I see a counselor after a disaster?

As a teen, you might want to see a counselor after a disaster if—after several weeks or more—you:

• suffer so much or for so long that you are not sure you can stand it
  • can't think clearly or do your school work
  • can't handle helping out in your family (such as caring for brothers or sisters, or doing chores)
  • are doing yourself injury by drinking or smoking more than you usually do; using street drugs to help feel better or to escape your daily life; using too much or too little prescribed medication; speeding or driving carelessly; threatening, hurting or fighting people
  • are still have eating or sleeping problems, or are getting sick from stress
  • withdraw from other people, such as close friends or family
  • feel like hurting yourself or others

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Run, Hide, Fight: How to Protect Yourself During an Act of Mass Violence
As incidents of intentional harm increase in the US, many people are wondering how best to protect themselves in the event of a mass shooting or other...
How can I prepare my family for a disaster?
Mrs. LeAnne Lovett-FloomMrs. LeAnne Lovett-Floom
You can prepare your family for an emergency in several ways.  Have a plan--augmented for a varie...
How can I stay safe if I am stranded in my car during a winter storm?
Staying in your vehicle when stranded is often the safest choice if winter storms create poor visibi...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.