How can I get emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs)?

You can get Plan B at drugstores and stores with a licensed pharmacist. The FDA recently approved Plan B One-Step for sale without a prescription. Plan B, another emergency contraceptive, is available without a prescription to women 17 and older. Ella, a third option, is prescription-only. Women and men must show proof of age to buy emergency contraceptives. If you need emergency contraception, you need to act quickly. Talk to your parents, your doctor, or visit a family planning clinic and ask for help.

Where you can get emergency contraceptive (EC) medication depends partly on why you need it and on your age.
  • If you are a victim of sexual assault, of any age, any hospital will provide EC medication at your request.
  • If you are at least 17 years old, you can get Plan B from a pharmacy without a prescription. You must show a driver's license or other government-issued ID to prove your age. (Call the pharmacy ahead to make sure it dispenses Plan B.) Another option, called Plan B One-Step, is available over-the-counter. 
  • If you are under 15 years old and do not consider yourself to be a victim of sexual assault, you need a prescription to get EC medication. Ask your healthcare provider. If your healthcare provider will not give you a prescription, you may be able to get EC through Planned Parenthood.

Continue Learning about Emergency Contraception

What should I do after I take emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs)?
After you have taken ECPs, your next period may come sooner or later than normal. Most women will ge...
Are emergency contraceptive pills and the "morning after pill" same?
Yes. Emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) are often called the "morning after pill," which is wrong ...
What are the differences between emergency contraception and RU486?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
RU486 is an abortofacient that became FDA approved around the same time as Emergency Contraception, ...
What is the emergency contraception (morning after) pill?
Emergency contraception (EC) involves taking 1 or 2 pills within 5 days of unprotected intercourse. ...