How effective is an emergency contraception in preventing pregnancy?

Emergency contraceptive (EC) medication is not perfect. But the sooner it is taken, the better it works. Plan B medication is up to 95% effective if taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex. It is up to 89% effective if taken within 72 hours.

Continue Learning about Emergency Contraception

What are the different types of emergency contraceptives?
There are two types of emergency contraceptives:Emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) Intrauterine de...
How well does emergency contraception work?
When used correctly, emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) work very well at preventing pregnancy. Co...
Can I get emergency contraceptive pills even if I don't need it?
Yes. Your doctor should bring up emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) at your annual exam (when you ...
Can I buy emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) without a prescription?
The FDA recently approved Plan B One Step for sale over the counter to women of all ages. Another op...