Does emergency contraception have side effects?

Some women feel sick and throw up after taking ECPs. Headache, cramps, and fatigue also can occur. Progestin-only ECPs cause fewer side effects than combined pills that also contain estrogen. The over-the-counter drug Dramamine 2 can reduce the risk of feeling sick and throwing up. Take two of these pills 30 minutes before taking ECPs. If you throw up after taking ECPs, call your doctor or pharmacist.

IUD placement has risks of pelvic infection or harming the uterus. But these risks are quite rare. If the IUD is left in place to be used as birth control, it can cause side effects such as cramps and heavy bleeding during your period.

This answer is based on source information from Office of Women's Health.

Emergency contraceptive (EC) pills can cause these temporary side effects:
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Pain in the lower abdomen
  • Severe tiredness
  • Headache or dizziness
  • Breast tenderness
If you vomit within 2 hours of taking an EC pill, call your healthcare provider to find out if you need to take another one.

After taking EC medication, your next period may be a few days late or early. You may also notice a change in the flow. If you use birth control pills, be sure to take them for the rest of your cycle.

Continue Learning about Emergency Contraception

What are the different types of emergency contraceptives?
There are two types of emergency contraceptives:Emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) Intrauterine de...
Can I buy emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) without a prescription?
The FDA recently approved Plan B One Step for sale over the counter to women of all ages. Another op...
What should I do after I take emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs)?
After you have taken ECPs, your next period may come sooner or later than normal. Most women will ge...
How does the "morning after pill" work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved an emergency contraceptive to be sold over the counte...