What should I do after I take emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs)?

After you have taken ECPs, your next period may come sooner or later than normal. Most women will get their period within 7 days of the expected date. Your period also may be heavier, lighter, or more spotty than normal. If you do not get your period in 3 weeks or if you think you might be pregnant after taking ECPs, get a pregnancy test to find out for sure.

Use another birth control method if you have sex any time before your next period starts. Talk to your doctor about how to choose a birth control method that is right for you.

This answer is based on source information from The National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Emergency Contraception

What is emergency contraception?
Emergency contraception, or emergency birth control, is used to help keep a woman from getting pregn...
What are the differences between emergency contraception and RU486?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
RU486 is an abortofacient that became FDA approved around the same time as Emergency Contraception, ...
Can emergency contraception protect me from STIs?
No. Emergency contraception can only lower the risk of becoming pregnant after having unprotected se...
Can I buy emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) without a prescription?
The FDA recently approved Plan B One Step for sale over the counter to women of all ages. Another op...