What should I do after I take emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs)?

After you have taken ECPs, your next period may come sooner or later than normal. Most women will get their period within 7 days of the expected date. Your period also may be heavier, lighter, or more spotty than normal. If you do not get your period in 3 weeks or if you think you might be pregnant after taking ECPs, get a pregnancy test to find out for sure.

Use another birth control method if you have sex any time before your next period starts. Talk to your doctor about how to choose a birth control method that is right for you.

This answer is based on source information from The National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Emergency Contraception

Emergency Contraception

Emergency Contraception

Emergency contraception is used to help keep a woman from getting pregnant after she has unprotected sex or if the birth control method failed. The medication is a concentrated dose of progesterone that prevents the egg from leavi...

ng the ovary, meeting with sperm or attaching to the uterus, depending on your cycle stage. If you are already pregnant, the emergency contraception pill will not work.