Will my child outgrow their egg allergy?

Your child will likely outgrow their food allergy, usually by the age of 5. In general, as you age, your body's digestive system becomes more tolerant. It knows to avoid taking in the foods that cause the allergy attacks, and ceases to react to the allergen.

Amy R. Auerbach, MD
Allergy & Immunology
According to the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network, egg allergy affects approximately 1.5% of children.  Fortunately, 70 percent of children outgrow egg allergy.  While previously it was thought that children outgrew egg allergy by the age of 5, data published by Dr. Wood of Johns Hopkins in 2007 suggests that many children will take longer to outgrow egg allergy, with only 15 percent outgrowing it by age 5. Your allergist can monitor your child's levels of IgE, the antibody that forms in response to an allergen, and determine when the level is low enough that your child is unlikely to have an allergic reaction.  Additionally, children who are able to tolerate "high heat" egg such as egg that is baked in the oven in muffins or cake are more likely to outgrow their egg allergy.

Continue Learning about Egg Allergy

What are the treatment options for an egg allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The best natural treatment for an egg allergy is to avoid eggs. If eggs cannot be avoided, there are...
Should I talk to my doctor about my egg allergy symptoms?
You should always talk to your doctor about your egg allergy symptoms, even when they are mild. Thou...
If I have an egg allergy, what egg substitute can I use when baking?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have an egg allergy, you can use the following substitutions for eggs when baking: 1 teas...
What foods can my child with an egg allergy eat?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
Children and adults with severe egg allergy need to read labels and avoid all egg products. This wou...