What causes an egg allergy?

Egg allergies are caused by your immune system's overreaction to particular egg proteins. These proteins prompt a response from your body to protect itself, so it starts creating antibodies. The release of these antibodies causes the common symptoms of allergic reactions: a rash or hives, itchy or watery eyes, itchy throat and a runny nose, just to name a few.

Age and having other allergies are two of the largest risk factors for developing an egg allergy. Egg allergies are found much more often in children, who usually outgrow them by the age of 16. In addition, having other allergies is a risk. Whether the individual has other allergies or their parents have an allergy, both scenarios can mean a greater risk of egg allergies.

Continue Learning about Egg Allergy

If I have an egg allergy, what egg substitute can I use when baking?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have an egg allergy, you can use the following substitutions for eggs when baking: 1 teas...
Should I talk to my doctor about my egg allergy symptoms?
You should always talk to your doctor about your egg allergy symptoms, even when they are mild. Thou...
How common is egg allergy?
Egg allergies are one of the most common food allergies. There are over 160 different foods that are...
What is an egg allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
An egg allergy is an improper reaction by your immune system—in this case, to eggs. Your body spends...