What are the treatment options for an egg allergy?

The best natural treatment for an egg allergy is to avoid eggs. If eggs cannot be avoided, there are some alternative treatments for food allergies, including herbal remedies, acupuncture and special diets. These treatments, however, have not been widely studied in the scientific community.

Antihistamines manage egg allergy symptoms by blocking histamine's effects. Epinephrine, meanwhile, is injected adrenaline that assists in reducing your body's reaction to the allergen. It's worth noting that these medications do not treat the actual allergies themselves—rather, they help treat the allergy symptoms.

Another treatment option, oral immunotherapy—where a person slowly builds a tolerance to their food allergy by increasing exposure—has been shown to reduce allergic reactions to eggs. In a recent study by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, experts found that slow, measured exposure to eggs may lead to a lasting tolerance. However, this process should not be tried without a doctor's recommendation. If you cannot try oral immunotherapy, know that most children outgrow their egg allergy by the age of 5.

Continue Learning about Egg Allergy

What foods can my child with an egg allergy eat?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
Children and adults with severe egg allergy need to read labels and avoid all egg products. This wou...
What causes an egg allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Egg allergies are caused by your immune system's overreaction to particular egg proteins. These prot...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with an egg allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
When caring for someone with an egg allergy, it's most important to be aware of what you're feeding ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my egg allergy symptoms?
You should always talk to your doctor about your egg allergy symptoms, even when they are mild. Thou...