How can I protect my child from an egg allergy?

You cannot protect your child from developing an egg allergy, but you can protect your child from reactions once they have the allergy. To protect your child, keep them away from eggs in their many forms: food, drink ingredients and products. Learn what to look for on labels and what ingredients (such as those that start with "ovo" or "ova") mean that egg is contained within the product. Also, don't rely on labels that say "egg free," because it's possible that these products still contain egg proteins, which is what your child is actually allergic to.

You should tell your child's school about your child's egg allergy and any other allergies they might have. This can help them avoid reactions and make any changes that might be necessary—for example, they may put restrictions on what other children can bring for class treats since most baked goods contain eggs. And in the case of an accidental reaction, the school will know what is happening and how to treat it.

Continue Learning about Egg Allergy

If I have an egg allergy, what egg substitute can I use when baking?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have an egg allergy, you can use the following substitutions for eggs when baking: 1 teas...
What are the treatment options for an egg allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The best natural treatment for an egg allergy is to avoid eggs. If eggs cannot be avoided, there are...
Is an egg allergy life-threatening?
Egg allergies can be life-threatening if you have a serious reaction. Similar to other food allergie...
What is an egg allergy?
Dr. Julie Wang, MDDr. Julie Wang, MD
An egg allergy is an immune reaction to egg proteins. When an egg allergic person is exposed to egg ...