How can I protect my child from an egg allergy?

You cannot protect your child from developing an egg allergy, but you can protect your child from reactions once they have the allergy. To protect your child, keep them away from eggs in their many forms: food, drink ingredients and products. Learn what to look for on labels and what ingredients (such as those that start with "ovo" or "ova") mean that egg is contained within the product. Also, don't rely on labels that say "egg free," because it's possible that these products still contain egg proteins, which is what your child is actually allergic to.

You should tell your child's school about your child's egg allergy and any other allergies they might have. This can help them avoid reactions and make any changes that might be necessary—for example, they may put restrictions on what other children can bring for class treats since most baked goods contain eggs. And in the case of an accidental reaction, the school will know what is happening and how to treat it.

Continue Learning about Egg Allergy

Egg Allergy

Egg Allergy

Allergies to eggs and egg whites are more common in children than adults, causing rashes, hives, inflamed nasal passages, vomiting and even anaphylaxis, a life-threatening reaction. Many children outgrow this allergy. Over-the-cou...

nter antihistamine medications can help relieve mild allergy symptoms, but avoiding eggs and food containing egg and egg products is the only way to stay safe. Read all product ingredient labels, and be careful even of egg substitutes, which can contain egg whites.