What do I need to know about caring for someone with an egg allergy?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

When caring for someone with an egg allergy, it's most important to be aware of what you're feeding them, giving them to drink, and letting them handle to ensure that everything is egg-free. Familiarize yourself with products that contain egg proteins, including surprising ones such as shampoo, cosmetics and finger paints. Also avoid ingredients that start with "ova" or "ovo," which are usually attached to egg proteins.

If you are caring for someone with a severe egg allergy, be sure you have an epinephrine syringe and that you know how and where to inject it.

Continue Learning about Egg Allergy

If I have an egg allergy, what egg substitute can I use when baking?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have an egg allergy, you can use the following substitutions for eggs when baking: 1 teas...
What are the treatment options for an egg allergy?
The best natural treatment for an egg allergy is to avoid eggs. If eggs cannot be avoided, there are...
How can I protect my child from an egg allergy?
You cannot protect your child from developing an egg allergy, but you can protect your child from re...
How common is egg allergy?
Egg allergies are one of the most common food allergies. There are over 160 different foods that are...