Can I develop an egg allergy as an adult?

Though egg allergies usually occur in children, it is possible for adults to develop an egg allergy. An egg allergy, like all food allergies, is most likely to happen in children because their digestive system is immature. Even if it can recognize a triggering food, it continues to absorb it and causes a reaction. As children grow, their digestive system understands not to ingest the triggering substance. However, although it's not fully understood why, sometimes things change and an adult can suddenly develop a food allergy.

Continue Learning about Egg Allergy

What is an egg allergy?
An egg allergy is an improper reaction by your immune system—in this case, to eggs. Your body spends...
Should I talk to my doctor about my egg allergy symptoms?
You should always talk to your doctor about your egg allergy symptoms, even when they are mild. Thou...
If I have an egg allergy, what egg substitute can I use when baking?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have an egg allergy, you can use the following substitutions for eggs when baking: 1 teas...
Is an egg allergy life-threatening?
Egg allergies can be life-threatening if you have a serious reaction. Similar to other food allergie...