What kind of disabilities can occur after a stroke?

The kind of disabilities that occur after a stroke is determined by which part of the brain was affected by the stroke. When a person has a stroke, there is decreased blood flow to a portion of the brain. As a result, a person could have difficulty with moving a limb or with speaking, or may become confused.

Continue Learning about Effects of Stroke

What neurological or circulatory problems could I have after a stroke?
Dr. Muhammad A. Taqi, MDDr. Muhammad A. Taqi, MD
The parts of the body affected by a stroke depends on where it occurs in the brain, says Muhammad Ta...
Can a stroke cause swelling into the brain?
Samuel Y. Hou, MDSamuel Y. Hou, MD
Swelling in the brain can occur due to a stroke. In this video, neurointerventional surgeon Samuel H...
How can a stroke affect my sex life?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Though there is no medical reason to avoid having sex after a stroke, you may find it difficult to h...
Can my vision return after a stroke?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
Generally this type of damage is permanent. However, the patient can often adapt and function well. ...