What are the physical effects of a stroke?

A stroke can affect walking, moving arms or legs, speaking, or understanding speech. It can alter memory and how you think, feel, and behave. A stroke can alter your sense of sight, sound, and touch. The functions affected depend upon the extent and location of the brain injury.

Some of the physical effects of a stroke include problems with walking, moving, talking and swallowing. Strokes can also cause problems with seeing, understanding and memory. Larger strokes cause bigger problems, like with walking or talking. This means the person may need to learn how to do things all over again.

Continue Learning about Effects of Stroke

What is emotional lability?
Stuart C. Sealfon, MDStuart C. Sealfon, MD
Emotional lability is uncontrolled, spontaneous emotional reactions (including crying or laughin...
What causes hemifacial spasm?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
It is believed that hemifacial spasm occurs when a blood vessel presses on the facial nerve that sup...
How might a stroke affect me emotionally?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Given that the brain is the cradle of your emotions and your psyche, it is not surprising that a bra...
What infection risks do I face after a stroke?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
After a stroke, some patients are more susceptible to pneumonia and urinary tract infection. In the ...