What are common complications of stroke?

A stroke occurs when either an artery leading to the brain is blocked (ischemic stroke) or as a result of bleeding (hemorrhagic stroke). Because the blood supply to the brain is interrupted in a stroke, damage to the brain may result. Depending on the nature of the stroke, complications from a stroke may be temporary or permanent.

Common complications include the following:

• Neurological and circulatory: brain swelling, headaches, dizziness, seizures; blood clots in legs; risk of another stroke
  • Infection: pneumonia; urinary tract infection
  • Movement and muscle control: trouble with balance and walking; paralysis or difficulty working muscles, especially on one side (opposite from side of brain affected by the stroke); difficulty talking or swallowing because of muscle control in throat and mouth; bladder and bowel control
  • Sensing and feeling: pain, numbness, tingling; bed sores; sensitive to cold
  • Language: Difficulty communicating, especially with speech
  • Thinking and memory: memory loss and trouble understanding; a disconnect between thought and action
  • Emotional and psychological: Clinical depression; anger, frustration, grief, sadness; personality or behavior changes

Treatment for each of these complications will be individualized to the patient.

Strokes often lead to serious, life-changing complications that include:

• paralysis or weakness on one side of the body
  • problems with thinking, awareness, attention, learning, judgment, and memory
  • problems understanding or forming speech
  • difficulty controlling or expressing emotions
  • numbness or strange sensations
  • pain in the hands and feet
  • depression

Continue Learning about Effects of Stroke

What neurological or circulatory problems could I have after a stroke?
Dr. Muhammad A. Taqi, MDDr. Muhammad A. Taqi, MD
The parts of the body affected by a stroke depends on where it occurs in the brain, says Muhammad Ta...
What neurological problems could I have after a stroke?
After a stroke you could have any combination of neurologic problems depending on the area of the br...
Can a stroke cause swelling into the brain?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In a small percentage of strokes there is bleeding into the brain. This bleeding can be from a b...
Can I drive after a stroke?
Steven A. Meyers, MDSteven A. Meyers, MD
Many people can drive after a stroke. Whether or not a person can drive after a stroke depends on th...