How are stroke and shoulder pain related?

Dr. William P. McRoberts, MD
Pain Medicine Specialist

The specific connection between stroke and shoulder pain is not known. However, sometimes after a stroke, the muscles surrounding the shoulder become weaker. This causes the shoulder to become dislocated.

When this happens it is extremely painful. Sometimes, the patient is unable to tell anyone about the pain because the stroke has affected their ability to speak.

Also, it is not uncommon for the stroke itself to damage the body's pain-sensing system. The way you feel pain may be much greater. An already painful condition can be magnified and feel extremely painful.

Continue Learning about Effects of Stroke

How can hemifacial spasm be treated?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Botox injections are used in the majority of patients. Drug therapy can be used, but it is effective...
Why do some people die from strokes?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
A stroke occurs when blood flow to the brain is disrupted, either by a blood clot blocking a blood v...
Can I drive after a stroke?
Steven A. Meyers, MDSteven A. Meyers, MD
Many people can drive after a stroke. Whether or not a person can drive after a stroke depends on th...
How might a stroke affect me emotionally?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Given that the brain is the cradle of your emotions and your psyche, it is not surprising that a bra...