How might a stroke affect me emotionally?

Given that the brain is the cradle of your emotions and your psyche, it is not surprising that a brain attack can have psychological reverberations. As you recover from your stroke, you may find yourself flooded with feelings that are overpowering or misplaced. It's not uncommon to feel an increased urge to laugh or cry inappropriately, or to get angry easily. You may also experience sexual dysfunction. Although counseling is part of rehabilitation, your need for counseling may last far longer than your need for muscle-strengthening exercises or speech therapy. Psychosocial counseling for you and your family can help you learn to live with the aftershocks of your stroke.

Continue Learning about Effects of Stroke

How can a stroke affect my sex life?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Though there is no medical reason to avoid having sex after a stroke, you may find it difficult to h...
What is an infarction of the brain?
Carolyn D. Brockington, MDCarolyn D. Brockington, MD
An infarction of the brain is another term for a stroke, which is caused by an interruption of blood...
What is spatial neglect due to a stroke?
Dr. Natalia S. Rost, MDDr. Natalia S. Rost, MD
One fairly common effect of stroke is called spatial "neglect." This is a lack of awareness on one s...
What infection risks do I face after a stroke?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
After a stroke, some patients are more susceptible to pneumonia and urinary tract infection. In the ...