How might a stroke affect me emotionally?

Given that the brain is the cradle of your emotions and your psyche, it is not surprising that a brain attack can have psychological reverberations. As you recover from your stroke, you may find yourself flooded with feelings that are overpowering or misplaced. It's not uncommon to feel an increased urge to laugh or cry inappropriately, or to get angry easily. You may also experience sexual dysfunction. Although counseling is part of rehabilitation, your need for counseling may last far longer than your need for muscle-strengthening exercises or speech therapy. Psychosocial counseling for you and your family can help you learn to live with the aftershocks of your stroke.

Continue Learning about Effects of Stroke

How can I tell if a stroke is causing bleeding into the brain?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
There is no way to tell the type of stroke until the person gets to an emergency room and undergoes ...
Can I drive after a stroke?
Steven A. Meyers, MDSteven A. Meyers, MD
Many people can drive after a stroke. Whether or not a person can drive after a stroke depends on th...
What is spatial neglect due to a stroke?
Raul Guisado, MDRaul Guisado, MD
Spatial neglect is a symptom of stroke. Neurologist Raul Guisado, MD, of Regional Medical Center of ...
What is central pain syndrome resulting from a stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Central pain syndrome results from damage to sensory pathways caused by a stroke. The brain overcomp...