What causes hemifacial spasm?

It is believed that hemifacial spasm occurs when a blood vessel presses on the facial nerve that supplies the muscles to that side of the face.

Continue Learning about Effects of Stroke

How can hemifacial spasm be treated?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Botox injections are used in the majority of patients. Drug therapy can be used, but it is effective...
What kind of disabilities can occur after a stroke?
The kind of disabilities that occur after a stroke is determined by which part of the brain was affe...
What neurological or circulatory problems could I have after a stroke?
Dr. Muhammad A. Taqi, MDDr. Muhammad A. Taqi, MD
The parts of the body affected by a stroke depends on where it occurs in the brain, says Muhammad Ta...
How might a stroke affect me emotionally?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Given that the brain is the cradle of your emotions and your psyche, it is not surprising that a bra...