What body parts may be affected during cell phone use?

There is concern that RF energy produced by cellular phones may affect the brain and nervous system tissue in the head because hand-held cellular telephones are usually held close to the head. Researchers have focused on whether RF energy can cause malignant (cancerous) brain tumors such as gliomas (cancers of the brain that begin in glial cells, which surround and support the nerve cells), as well as benign (noncancerous) tumors, such as acoustic neuromas (tumors that arise in the cells of the nerve that supplies the ear) and meningiomas (tumors that occur in the meninges, which are the membranes that cover and protect the brain and spinal cord). The salivary glands also may be exposed to RF energy from cellular telephones held close to the head.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Effects Of Cancer On The Body

What sexual problems may occur after cancer treatment?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Cancer and treatment can affect survivors in different ways. One area of life that might change ...
How can I protect myself from infertility caused by cancer treatment?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Some of the more common services or procedures used to treat cancer-related infertility are the foll...
Where does cancer develop?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Cancer can develop in different parts of the body. It can occur in organs, like the kidney or brain....
What Is Cancer Fatigue?
What Is Cancer Fatigue?