How can I protect myself from infertility caused by cancer treatment?

Some of the more common services or procedures used to treat cancer-related infertility are the following:
  • Fertility Counseling -- Patients will meet with a physician to discuss their current cancer condition or status, potential treatment options and concerns.
  • Cryopreservation of Sperm -- This is the evaluation and storage of sperm. This procedure is beneficial for men who have been diagnosed with cancer before undergoing medical or surgical treatments, which result in compromised sperm production and infertility.
  • Cryopreservation of Embryos -- This is the storage of frozen embryos. Women who need cancer treatment may choose this option before beginning cancer treatment.
  • Donor Sperm and Donor Eggs -- Donor sperm can be used for patients pursuing either intrauterine insemination or in vitro fertilization once their cancer treatment is complete. Donor eggs can be used for women once their cancer treatment is complete and it is safe to achieve pregnancy.