How do tumors cause destruction?

Tumors cause destruction in three common ways:

• They put pressure on nearby tissues and/or organs.
  • They invade tissues and organs directly (direct extension), often damaging or disabling them in the process.
  • They make invaded tissues and/or organs susceptible to infection.
Tumors can also release substances that destroy tissues in close proximity to them.

Continue Learning about Effects Of Cancer On The Body

New Cancer Risks Piling On
New Cancer Risks Piling On
In the NFL, a scramble for a fumble usually results in a pile of players, all vying for the football. But when a player gets to the party late and “pi...
How can I protect myself from infertility caused by cancer treatment?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Some of the more common services or procedures used to treat cancer-related infertility are the foll...
How should I take care of my mouth if I'm undergoing cancer treatment?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Good mouth care is important while you are being treated for cancer in order to reduce your risk of ...
What Is Cancer Fatigue?
What Is Cancer Fatigue?