Why is sunblock important in extremely hot weather?

Sunblock is important in extremely hot weather because the first layer of protection on the body is the skin, and a person can easily get first-degree sunburns, but then second- and third-degree burns out in the heat.

So, something people have to remember if they're going to be active and outside in the sun in extreme weather is to make sure that they're using sunblock to protect their skin. A red burn on the skin is a first-degree burn. Once the skin starts to blister, that's already a second-degree burn and that is going to decrease the skin's ability to protect the body and fight infection.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

How does sunlight damage my skin?
Ultraviolet radiation from the sun weakens those elastic collagen fibers that give skin its taut...
Can the sun harm my skin?
When your skin is exposed to the sun, it's susceptible to sunburn and other damage from harmful UVA ...
What are the risks of too much exposure to the sun?
The risks of too much sun exposure have to do with changes that the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays make...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?