What is ultraviolet (UV) light?

The main source of light given off by the sun is ultraviolet (UV) light, also called ultraviolet rays or radiation. There are two types of ultraviolet rays:
  • UVA rays make it hard for your body to fight infections and cancer. UVA rays can also pass through windows and change the deeper layers of the skin. This can cause spots on your skin, premature aging and wrinkles.
  • UVB rays are the main source of sunburns. Sunburns will increase your risk of developing skin cancer.
Ultraviolet light from any source is dangerous. All sources of artificial sunlight or ultraviolet light, including tanning beds and salons, should be avoided. Ultraviolet light is sometimes used for medical purposes but should be done under the supervision of your healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

How does continuous ultraviolet exposure affect skin health?
Long-term exposure to ultraviolet rays (UVR) can have many effects on skin. It can damage cellular D...
What is photoaging?
We usually think of aging as adding one more candle to our birthday cake (or fruit bowl) each year...
What are sun blisters?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
If you develop a severe sunburn, blisters can occur. This is like getting a 2nd degree burn. It's im...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?