What sun allergies exist?

There are no existing sun allergies, but there are medical conditions that may predispose a person to the damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation that comes from the sun.

Polymorphic light eruption (PMLE) is the most common allergic reaction to the sun. It results in a rash that usually consists of clusters of red or pink raised spots that can burn and itch for days. Others might experience solar urticaria. This allergy can result in large, painful hives.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

How does the sun affect the skin?
The sun affects the skin in several ways. Because exposure to the sun causes most of the skin change...
How does sunlight age the skin?
Here’s how photoaging, or aging caused by the sun, accumulates:A is for aging, B is for burning. The...
How does sun exposure cause wrinkles?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Simply put, the more sun exposure you have had, even as a child, the earlier your wrinkles will ...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?