What sun allergies exist?

There are no existing sun allergies, but there are medical conditions that may predispose a person to the damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation that comes from the sun.

Polymorphic light eruption (PMLE) is the most common allergic reaction to the sun. It results in a rash that usually consists of clusters of red or pink raised spots that can burn and itch for days. Others might experience solar urticaria. This allergy can result in large, painful hives.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

Is sunlight always bad for my skin?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
The fact is that sun does cause injury to your skin and can effect a positive anti-inflammatory resp...
Can any medications increase sun damage to skin?
Celeste Robb-NicholsonCeleste Robb-Nicholson
If you're taking certain medications, sun exposure can cause additional damage to your skin. It's im...
How is UV radiation harmful to our skin?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
UV radiation comes from the sun and from tanning beds. UV radiation damages our skin and adversely a...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?