What is photoaging?

We usually think of aging as adding one more candle to our birthday cake (or fruit bowl) each year, but photoaging is the type of aging that happens when you spend too much time in the sun, and makes you look years older than the calendar says you are. Fair-skinned people suffer more photoaging, but it creeps up no matter who you are. The skin absorbs ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun, which can generate harmful compounds that sabotage skin repair, reduce supportive collagen, and weaken the fibrous skin protein elastin. All this takes a toll on the skin causing it to sag, get mottled, dry and leathery, as well as increases your risk for skin cancer.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

Is black skin less prone to sun damage than white skin?
Contrary to popular beliefs, both black and white skin can be damaged by exposure to the sun. While ...
Why is it important to take steps to prevent skin cancer during the summer?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
It is important to take steps to prevent skin cancer during the summer because ultraviolet (UV) radi...
What sun allergies exist?
There are no existing sun allergies, but there are medical conditions that may predispose a person t...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?