What are physical sunblocks?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Sunblocks are just that, physical blockers that sit on the skin like armor. UVA and UVB rays ricochet off of sunblock like darts hitting a shield. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are the classic mineral sunblocking ingredients. In most products they are micronized, so the tiny nanoparticles are more transparent and less opaque and pasty on your skin. (Remember the chalky white zinc oxide on lifeguards' noses in the old days?) Also, because they are literally mineral, rather than chemical ingredients, they tend to be much less irritating to sensitive skin. Likewise, you could absolutely consider the right kind of clothing, sunglasses, a wide-brimmed hat, and an umbrella to be a type of physical blocker too.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

How does sun exposure affect our skin?
Because exposure to the sun causes most of the skin changes associated with aging, protecting the sk...
How does sun exposure damage skin?
Sunlight consists of two main types of ultraviolet (UV) rays that damage skin -- UVA and UVB ray...
What is photoaging?
We usually think of aging as adding one more candle to our birthday cake (or fruit bowl) each year...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?