What are physical sunblocks?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Sunblocks are just that, physical blockers that sit on the skin like armor. UVA and UVB rays ricochet off of sunblock like darts hitting a shield. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are the classic mineral sunblocking ingredients. In most products they are micronized, so the tiny nanoparticles are more transparent and less opaque and pasty on your skin. (Remember the chalky white zinc oxide on lifeguards' noses in the old days?) Also, because they are literally mineral, rather than chemical ingredients, they tend to be much less irritating to sensitive skin. Likewise, you could absolutely consider the right kind of clothing, sunglasses, a wide-brimmed hat, and an umbrella to be a type of physical blocker too.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

Does a sunlamp cause less skin damage than the sun?
Indoor tanning is the use of tanning beds, booths or sunlamps to get a tan. Both indoor tanning and ...
Why is it important to take steps to prevent skin cancer during the summer?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
It is important to take steps to prevent skin cancer during the summer because ultraviolet (UV) radi...
How long does it take for sun damage to show up as skin wrinkles?
The sun causes changes in your skin's connective tissue. There is a part of the skin collagen known ...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?