What changes can occur in the skin due to sun exposure?

With any unprotected sun exposure your skin absorbs harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation. If your skin is sunburned it will undergo a process to repair injured skin cells. With frequent exposure to the sun your skin will turn darker and start to thicken. Sun exposure also leads to wrinkles.

The biggest concern, however, is that repeated exposure to UV rays increases the risk of skin cancer. That includes basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma, the deadliest type of skin cancer.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

What are the risks of too much exposure to the sun?
The risks of too much sun exposure have to do with changes that the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays make...
How does sun exposure damage skin?
Sunlight consists of two main types of ultraviolet (UV) rays that damage skin -- UVA and UVB ray...
Can exposure to the sun increase the risk of melanoma?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Infrequent but intense exposure to the sun, the kind that sometimes leads to sunburn, can increase a...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?