Why is it important to take steps to prevent skin cancer during the summer?

It is important to take steps to prevent skin cancer during the summer because ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun is the main cause of skin cancer and can also cause damage to the eyes. So while enjoying the great outdoors, it's important for people to be aware of how much sunlight they get. With the beautiful weather and days spent outdoors at the park, the beach and the golf course, people's skin may be getting more sun exposure in summer than at other times of the year. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, one in five Americans will develop skin cancer, the most common type of cancer in the United States.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

How does sun exposure affect aging?
Too much sun ages us because exposure to ultraviolet light destroys elastin and promotes wrinkles. I...
What sun allergies exist?
There are no existing sun allergies, but there are medical conditions that may predispose a person t...
Why should I wear sunscreen while skiing?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
While ultraviolet light is definitely weaker in the winter, it reflects 4 times as much off of snow ...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?