Can any medications increase sun damage to skin?

Celeste Robb-Nicholson
If you're taking certain medications, sun exposure can cause additional damage to your skin. It's important to check the labels of any of the medications you're taking to see if they cause photosensitivity. Those most commonly used include the antibiotic doxycycline, hydrochlorothiazide diuretics, and antiarrhythmics, such as amiodarone.
There are medications that can increase sun damage to skin. For example, some antibiotics can increase senstivity to sunlight exposure and may lead to skin damage. There are many other classes of medication that can also be affected by sun exposure. It is important to talk with a healthcare provider or pharmacist about any risk with sun exposure when starting new medications.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

How long does it take for sun damage to show up as skin wrinkles?
Typically, it takes 30 years for sun damage to appear, so the damage you did in your 20s will start ...
How does the sun affect the skin?
The ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun can lead to many skin changes, including relatively mild thin...
How can I tell if the sun is damaging my skin?
One of the ways you can tell if the sun is damaging your skin is if you develop actinic keratosis, w...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?