If I have asthma can I still have a safe pregnancy?

Most women who have asthma continue on to have a normal healthy pregnancy.  If you have asthma, discuss your treatment with your doctor. Most often, if you stay on your medications, your asthma will continued to be well controlled during pregnancy. It is also important to make sure that you get your flu shot if you have asthma and are pregnant. Some medications should not be used during the labor process, so it is important your doctor and team of nurses know that you have asthma.

If you have asthma you can still have a safe and normal pregnancy as long as asthma symptoms are kept under control. However, there is a slightly higher risk of complications in pregnant women with asthma compared to women without the condition. Uncontrolled asthma in a pregnant woman can cause oxygen levels to decrease in the blood and can impact how much oxygen the fetus receives.

Continue Learning about Effect of Asthma on the Body

Don’t Let Asthma Cause You Weight Gain
Don’t Let Asthma Cause You Weight Gain
Pear-shaped Homer Simpson often has severe breathing problems when he tries to pick up the pace—and it makes sense, since we have long known obesity i...
Should I be worried that air pollution and my asthma are linked to suicide?
Mother Nature NetworkMother Nature Network
Here’s another reason to fight air pollution in your neighborhood: Dirty air means more suicides. ...
Is there a link between asthma and bone health?
If you have asthma, you might also be at greater risk for bone loss and osteoporosis. Corticosteroid...
How Does Smoking Affect My Asthma?
How Does Smoking Affect My Asthma?