If I have asthma can I still have a safe pregnancy?

If you have asthma you can still have a safe and normal pregnancy as long as asthma symptoms are kept under control. However, there is a slightly higher risk of complications in pregnant women with asthma compared to women without the condition. Uncontrolled asthma in a pregnant woman can cause oxygen levels to decrease in the blood and can impact how much oxygen the fetus receives.

Most women who have asthma continue on to have a normal healthy pregnancy.  If you have asthma, discuss your treatment with your doctor. Most often, if you stay on your medications, your asthma will continued to be well controlled during pregnancy. It is also important to make sure that you get your flu shot if you have asthma and are pregnant. Some medications should not be used during the labor process, so it is important your doctor and team of nurses know that you have asthma.

Continue Learning about Effect of Asthma on the Body