What complications can I expect from eczema?

Some complications of eczema occur when the condition isn't treated or managed properly. Eczema causes very dry skin, which may lead to skin itching and scratching, which in turn can damage the skin, raising the risk for bacterial, viral or fungal infections. Complications can also develop if you don’t avoid certain eczema triggers, such as perfume, wool or smoke.

Eczema flare-ups can also cause the skin to look unattractive, which can lead to a higher risk for anxiety and depression for people who have eczema. Finally, having eczema is a sign that you are at increased risks for other conditions, including asthma and hay fever, that doctors think are caused by a similar immune system problems. About half of people with eczema also develop asthma and about two-thirds develop hay fever or allergic rhinitis.

Continue Learning about Eczema

13 Tips to Manage Atopic Dermatitis Flares
It’s estimated that over 27 million adults and children in the United States have atopic dermatitis, the most common form of eczema. While not dangero...
If I have eczema, when should I moisturize?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
Patients with eczema have extremely dry skin that is worse during the cold months and aggravated by ...
6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter
6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter
Temperature changes can make eczema worse. Here's how to avoid breakouts.
The #1 Thing to Do If You Have Eczema
The #1 Thing to Do If You Have Eczema