What might cause my daughter's ears to be chronically itchy?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Itching in the ears can be caused by many problems. The most common one is eczema or dry skin. Repeated cleaning with a cotton swab (Q-Tip and others) can also cause persistent itching.

The wax in the ear canal helps moisturize the skin and prevent itching. Ear canal infections can cause itching, especially fungal infections. These can persist for long periods unless they are treated. Always rubbing or scratching the ear can also lead to a continuation of the problem.

To diagnose the problem, your doctor will ask about your health history, examine the ear canal and may swab the ear and send the sample to be tested. The right diagnosis can lead to a treatment.

Continue Learning about Eczema

Treatments for Atopic Dermatitis
Treatments for Atopic Dermatitis
Learn about the different treatments and strategies for managing atopic dermatitis in this video with Doris Day, MD. Atopic dermatitis is a type of ec...
If I have eczema, when should I moisturize?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
Patients with eczema have extremely dry skin that is worse during the cold months and aggravated by ...
6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter
6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter
Temperature changes can make eczema worse. Here's how to avoid breakouts.
Everyday Eczema Triggers
Everyday Eczema Triggers