How can I treat eczema myself?

To help treat eczema:
  • Don't scratch. Put moisturizer on the area. Cover it with a bandage if you need to.
  • Wear loose, cotton clothing. This will help keep your skin from being bothered by sweat or rubbing.
  • Try a cream with 1% hydrocortisone. You can buy this at the store.
It's a good idea to see a dermatologist if you have eczema. This doctor can effectively diagnose the type of eczema you have and can come up with an appropriate treatment plan. One helpful thing you can do on your own is keep a journal that tracks your eczema outbreaks and any suspected triggers so you can identify and avoid those triggers in the future.
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Besides vigilant moisturizing, you can try an OTC cortisone cream. But to be honest, a 1% concentration probably is not going to do much for you. It is best to get a prescription steroid from your doctor.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Eczema