How can I prevent scratching when I have eczema?

You can prevent scratching when you have eczema by following your dermatologist’s treatment plan. It may include medications that help ease the itch. Your doctor may also recommend that you moisturize the affected area and keep your fingernails short. This will keep you from puncturing your skin if you do scratch it. Some people wear cotton gloves when going to bed at night to avoid scratching themselves in their sleep.

Talk with your doctor about ways to avoid scratching your skin. 

Eczema is generally accompanied by intense itching and it is incredibly hard not to scratch at the affected areas. Some people find it useful to simply stay active. The more you can occupy your mind with other thoughts, the less you'll be thinking about your desire to scratch an itch. Wearing soft gloves at night when you sleep can also help as well as keeping your fingernails trimmed.

Continue Learning about Eczema