How can I tell if my child has eczema?

Here's a trick you can use to diagnose eczema: "Draw" on your child's arm with a fingernail. After about ten seconds, the red line will turn white. Really allergic kids will get a "wheal and flare" response, where it goes white first, then gets red and puffy like a linear hive along the line of the scratch.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Eczema

What Is Atopic Dermatitis?
What Is Atopic Dermatitis?
Also known as eczema, atopic dermatitis is a chronic skin condition that can occur at any age. Learn about why dermatologists sometimes call atopic de...
What are common eczema triggers?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
There are different causes and triggers of eczema. The role of some airborne allergens in eczema is ...
6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter
6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter
Temperature changes can make eczema worse. Here's how to avoid breakouts.
The #1 Thing to Do If You Have Eczema
The #1 Thing to Do If You Have Eczema